Saturday, October 15, 2011

Busy, Busy, Busy!!!!

I saw a sign once that said:  “God put me on this earth to do a certain number of things.  At this point, I will never die.”


Hey Everyone!

I’ve been neglecting my blog as of late, but been super busy with my trail riding group.  No, unfortunately, I haven’t been riding a lot, although I did get to ride the Hooves for the Cure ride again this year!  While I've ridden some, it's not been as much as I would prefer.   We are working on our big campout that is coming up and talk about STRESS!

There is a lot to putting on a three day weekend filled with horses, kids, costumes, fundraising meals and trail rides.  Then there is the fact that I’m going to be away from home for 3 days sleeping in a horse trailer with living quarters.  It could be worse, I could have to sleep in the tent with the boys, but I need electric for the CPAP, so I have a good friend who is taking me in.  YAY!   The last time we held this event we had non stop downpours of rain for the first two days.  It really messed things up for me as I got so cold that the pain became to much and I had to return home.   But the rest of the group still prevailed.  This weekend is far more involved and there will be more to do and more people showing up.  It's our hope and prayer that the rain stays away this year.

Doing all of this with a chronic illness is even more challenging, but I think once the weekend is over and fun is had by all, it will be very rewarding!

Now, I want to talk more about the stress issue because I feel it is important for all of us.  It's even more important to those of us with a chronic illness.  I think it has to be one of the top triggers for migraines and FMS flares.  During the days that build up to this event, I’m forcing myself to take breaks from all the planning and coordinating.  That means sometimes I have to turn off the computer.  Let that one phone call go until I’m feeling a little stronger.  Return that email later.  Decide what is "critical" and what isn't.  If I get overwhelmed, it’s time to shut the world off for a bit and take care of me.  It’s working!   Things are coming together and I’m not completely debilitated.   These are just a few things I've done that really help during these stressful times.  


Most of what I do is behind the scenes, but the big decisions fall upon the shoulders of three directors and two coordinators.  It can be VERY stressful making sure all our officers and coordinators are on the same page, I'm fortunate to have WONDERFUL people to work with.  My job is to monitor the email group and the webpage, keep track of all the RSVP's, make all the flyers, promotional materials, etc., I'm at the computer a LOT.  While this doesn't expend a lot of physical energy, it does take a lot of emotional energy and can turn my brain into silly putty.  I enjoy what I do, I just have to set limits as "surprise", the computer screen is another one of my migraine triggers.  Imagine that.

My dad use to tell me, “There is no sense in worrying about the things you can’t change or control.”  In other words, things are the way they are and we can only do our best.  To get through this weekend and reach the goal … that being provide a great time for our guests and members, while still remembering to HAVE FUN MYSELF … I must remember that advice and keep the stress at bay.   Worry is precious energy wasted.

The good news is that I won’t be away from my blog for much longer.   I’ll have lots to share with you once the weekend is over.  Tons of funny "dad" stories, I'll tell you about this years "Hooves for the Cure" trail ride and lots of other fun stuff!   Winter is just around the corner and I look forward to staying in to write.  My FMS can't stand the cold anyway!

Until then, stay healthy!   Remember that we can’t change anything by worry and that stress is only going to make things worse for us physically and emotionally.  


"Cast all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.”  I Peter 5:7

Blessings,

Robynn "Bobbie" Dinse


© Robynn “Bobbie” Dinse / Follow Your Dreams-Tales From Beside The Wheel
Please note that this short story is copyrighted and should not be reprinted in any form without permission from the author.  Feel free to link to "Follow your Dreams-Tales From Beside The Wheel"
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment